Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Farewell...

This bobsled adventure quickly got to the point where I had to make a decision.  It wasn't fair to keep leaving my girls for extended periods of time to bobsled; and I wasn't going to get any further in bobsledding unless I committed myself to it full-time. Deciding between coaching at Augusta High School or pursuing my dream as a Bobsledder was probably one of the hardest decisions I have had to make.

This school year had started out a little more frustrating than normal so it was easy to find reasons to choose bobsledding. But I didn't want to make excuses and focus on the negative. So I started to look for reasons to choose Augusta over New York. I found about 15 of them - just pull out any lady devil roster and you will see the reasons clearly listed.


Saying that I had the privilege of coaching the best high school girls basketball team in the state of Arkansas would be an understatement. I'd take these girls up against any high school team in the nation. Most coaches spend their entire careers waiting to get a group of girls like I have. They are young but experienced, unselfish on the court, and they love to play defense. Not to mention, these girls can just flat out play ball. But that's not what makes this group special. Its not their talent and potential. Its the fact that I simply love them like they are my own children. They have grown on me in ways I never expected or imagined. Although I hope I have made and impact on each of their lives, they have all made a great impact on my life as well.


But then I realized my reasons to stay, were actually reasons to leave. Ever since my very first day at Augusta High I have been teaching these girls to dream big, take risks, work hard, and to go out and conquer the world. What kind of a lesson would I be teaching them if I didn't do that myself? Will they learn more from hearing me preach everyday, or will they learn more by witnessing me take a leap of faith?  I feel exactly like Jim Morris (they made the movie "The Rookie" about him) who left his high school baseball team to follow his dream in professional baseball. I just hope my story has a Hollywood ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment