Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Year. More Slavery. One God.

I battled some jetlag and brought in the New Year from Frankfurt, Germany then headed to St. Moritz, Switzerland (Narnia) for a week of training. Apparently they don't have the same firework regulations in Europe as the U.S. because I felt like I was in the middle of WWIII at several points over the past few days.



I'm not big on setting new years resolutions, in fact, I don't know if I've ever even set one. I'm more of a fan of setting life resolutions. So I made a new life resolution that I'm going to start during 2012. I decided to help spread awareness about modern day slavery and eventually do something about it. It's only fitting considering that my sister will be leaving for a far off country to fight the slavery battle later this year.

The crazy thing is most of us don't even realize that slavery is a bigger problem now than it has ever been in the history of man kind. It exists in forms of concentration camps, human trafficking, forced labor, ect. It is currently the second largest criminal activity in the world (after drugs) and it is the fastest growing (US Department of Health and Human Services).

I don't know exactly what my role in the slavery battle will be yet. But I'm starting off by trying to educate myself and others on the problem. And saying that I have had some interesting conversations about it with my teammates this past week is an understatement. But through these conversations about slavery I have learned something: I can't expect people to have a passion about ending slavery or expect them to understand my motives when they don't have a passion for serving Jesus.

All this has led to another tough reminder that most non-believers don't want anything to do with serving Christ because us Christians and so called christians have done some serious damage to them in their past. One of my favorite quotes sums it up:
"The single greatest cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyles. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable." - Brennan Manning

So if you are a Christian let's simply love others and join together to fight for justice on behalf of the voiceless as we are called to do. If you aren't a Christian, Im greatly sorry for every negative experience you have had with "christians" and even me. We could still use your help to end the slavery battle, but start by seeking after Christ and I guarantee you that He will rock your world.


Click here to see my sisters blog

Click here to see more of Team USA's resolutions

No comments:

Post a Comment