Thursday, September 19, 2013

Leaving a Legacy...


Allow me to introduce you to my friend, Faith. 

I first met Faith a few years ago when my sister, Bethany (then a student at Eternity Bible College in California) lived in the spare room of Faith's families home. Bethany basically became a member of their family. Since then, I have even made a few trips out to sunny Southern California and Faith's family has always kindly opened their doors to me (or even opened up a tent in the backyard so that Faith, my sister, and I could camp out). 

Even tough we live thousands of miles apart, rarely see each other, and are over 20 years apart in age - Faith is an encouragement to me. I like to live vicariously through the little Southern California surfer girl and her brother (I really wish I was a legit surfer like Faith and wish that I had the natural athletic ability of, Christian, her brother). I am most encouraged by the fact that Faith and Christian are living proof that Godly kids still exist in this world. The background picture on my cell phone is even a note written by Faith that says, "Here is what I am commanding you to do. Be strong and brave. Do not be terrified. Do not loose hope. I am the Lord your God. I will be with you where ever you go." I read that note on a daily basis especially before every trip down a bobsled track! 

Faith recently decided (all on her own) to put H52J II (for High Five to Jesus, the second) on the back of her soccer jersey in place of her name. For those of you who don't know, H52J is one of my favorite phrases and is even the website address for this blog. I was speechless. Not only is Faith an encouragement to me, but I am also an encouragement to her. Now when people ask what the name on her jersey means she has an opportunity to share the love of Christ with them! 


God calls us to leave a legacy with others. Not a legacy of ourselves, but the legacy of Jesus. I think my friendship with Faith is an example of that. I am not saying that I am in any way responsible for Faith's faith. She is being raised in a strong Christian home and her parents are doing an outstanding job of teaching her the truth. I am saying that Faith and I have a unique iron sharpens iron relationship (Proverbs 27:17).  

You see, we are called to encourage the younger generations to carry out the legacy of the message of Christ and by doing that we will be blessed with encouragement as well. The coolest part of this story is that it's not about me and it's not about Faith (despite the fact that we are both awesome). The point of this story is that every time Faith and I encourage each other, it points straight to Jesus.



Visiting the Bower Family a couple of weeks ago at Cornerstone Church!
(And holding up a picture of Bethany) 

No comments:

Post a Comment