Tuesday, August 13, 2013

2012-13 Season Update...


If there is anyone out there who actually reads my blog posts, I apologize. It has been nearly ten months since my last real update. 

Val & I transported a bobsled between
Park City, UT and Calgary, Can.
We had several good/long road trips.
Around the time I left you hanging, I realized that a bobsled pilot on the North American Cup tour is far from being just an athlete. You are your own bus driver, sled transporter, logistical coordinator, coach, manager, agent, nutritionist, and the list goes on. Not only are you responsible for yourself, but also your crew. Thankfully I spent the season with Valerie Smith as my main crew member and she was a tremendous asset. There have also been so many others who have helped out along the way (too many people to list - and all of whom I am incredibly grateful for) so I am in no way saying that I survived last season by my own strength. I am just saying that blogging didn’t seem to fit in anywhere between bobsledding and grad school. Did I mention that I am in grad school? I’m so stoked to be pursuing a Masters Degree in Educational Leadership from DeVry University (online) thanks to an athlete scholarship from the U.S. Olympic Committee. 

North American Cup in Calgary, Can.
First race as a driver (Micaela Damas on brakes).
To sum up last bobsled season - by the grace of God, I successfully learned how to navigate a sled down 3 different tracks in 2 different countries and had the privilege of representing America in 4 international races. To top it off, there was never a dull moment with teammates Val Smith and Kristi Koplin nearby. Overall I would label the 2012-13 season as a valuable learning year.

Val, Me, and Kristi instigating awesomeness at the Freestyle Ski World Cup in Lake Placid, NY. 


Here are a few videos we made while training in Park City, Utah: 

"Top Fun" 



"Pure Bobsled Awesomeness" 







No comments:

Post a Comment